Wednesday, September 9, 2009

European Visitors comments from Yelp

Posted on Yelp

I'll try to be brief, although there is a lot to say. Being from Europe we were quite cautious about getting an RV for our trip to the US. I did a lot of research on the net and contacted lots of rental companies as well as some private people. I think we left things quite late in the day as there wasn't actually that much available, but one of the companies that we did get an offer from was Family RV. Our trip was planned so that we spent 5 days in San Francisco before catching the Cal Train down to San Jose, where we then got a taxi to the Family RV site. We were greeted with smiles and handshakes and made to feel very welcome. Due to my worries before hand I had been talking to some of the people at Family RV via Skype and email before the trip, with most of my correspondence with Alan, who I discovered was actually the owner. As far as the rental is concerned, we hired a 31 foot RV for 6 adults, and although this was an 8 berth model two of the beds were a bit cramped to sleep 2 side by side, but more than ample for 1 person if you slept at a bit of an angle. For 2 families of 2 adults and 2 children this model would be perfect though. The RV itself was perfect. We had no issues at all the whole time we were on the road, which was 8 days in total. We visited the beautiful West Coast, stayed at some amazing beach campsites for 4 days before moving inland to visit both Sequoia and Yosemite national parks. WE HAD THE MOST AMAZING TIME!!!!! It was an experience that all 6 of us will speak about for many years to come. With over 2500 photos and 11 hours of film on the video camera we are in the process of selecting the best photos and editing the video to show all of our friends who are very eager to see what we got up to. When we got back to San Jose we cleaned the RV unit ourselves on site at Family RV. They were kind enough to lend us a water hose, buckets, mops, rags, shampoo, a vacuum cleaner and so on, so all 6 of us spent an hour cleaning the unit before we handed it back to them. I mention that we cleaned it ourselves as I was worried that this was an area where they would be able to deduct money from the deposit that was taken from my card. I had read many horror stories of people losing some of their deposit due to them returning the unit in worse condition than they had received it. With 3 girls doing the inside and 3 lads doing the outside we did a thorough job and after inspection they gladly announced that they were not taking anything extra from our deposit (except for some extra mileage that we had, but we were aware of that from the start). They were even kind enough to purchase 4 chairs and a grill that we had bought ourselves, so at the end of the day we were more than happy. Overall my comments are based on one experience, but all in all it was better than I ever expected. I cannot fault Family RV in any way, they were very professional in their approach towards us and everything that they promised turned out just as expected. My deposit was credited back to my credit card within 5 days, so I have absolutely no complaints. I will be making a blog of our trip (there are already loads of photos on Facebook). If any of you are interested then give me a shout. Would be glad to tell you more. Once again I just want to thank Family RV for making our holiday so special. We will certainly be using them again if we ever wanted to tour California. Kind regardsJames and the crew(james.balson@seznam.cz)